Monday, January 28, 2013

Change of Scenery


As I am going through a job change, I found myself thinking that this would be as good a time as any to begin blogging about my adventures (considering it might be something that others will relate to).

Let me start by rewinding to tell you a bit about myself. I started working at 14 and had a variety of jobs while trying to find my career path. My jobs ranged from grocery stores to movie rental stores; from ski shops to copy shops; from home loan processing to auto body repair estimates; all before ending up on a DBA team for a preventative health care company. This is where I was initially introduced to, and hooked on, databases and SQL Server. As you may have already guessed, I wasn't one of those people that knew what they wanted to do in high school, or college for that matter.

Once I got involved with SQL Server, I knew that I finally found something challenging and fun. I found every day brought a slightly different puzzle to solve and I loved it. It was then that I was able to turn all of this random job history and work experience into a successful Software Support Engineer position with SQL Sentry. (for those that don't know, SQL Sentry is the best SQL Server monitoring tool for DBA's to have - both in my biased opinion, as well as the un-biased opinion of most of the SQL Server community).

Fast forward three years to the present where I begin a new chapter in my career as a production DBA for a large financial company. I am no longer looking through the window to help DBA customers. Instead, I am the DBA.

While there were a lot of thoughts and emotions that came with this transition, excitement was by far the most prevalent. This excitement is also the reason that I have decided to start my blog. To share my experiences with the community; to show how reality is different than my expectations; and to show that change doesn’t have to be a bad thing.

I hope you enjoy the ride Into the mind of a DBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment